Thursday, January 21, 2010

The night isn't over yet....

That rooftop? The building houses many people and artists. Here is one - the business card is upstairs in my room and I'm not in the mood to go get it. I'll post all address/number info later. But this guy worked for Dr. Ragab of http://www.pharaonicvillage.com/ infamy. He's had his own shop for quite some time. And seriously - there is a huge difference between what I bought and what he's doing. The price he is asking is very fair as well...but I'm at the end of my run here. Still - I'm fortunate to have been introduced to this place. This is THE PLACE to go to for papyrus.





There were also two different shops with about five guys (each) making leather shoes. I had no need or use for these shoes but I wanted to buy them all. Just to see them at work - there was a sense of contentment, camaraderie, and peace. And they were so genuinely happy to see me. It was otherworldly. I couldn't/wouldn't ruin it by asking for a picture. I just know now that I've seen people who make less in a year than I make in a month happier (and in a better place) than those people I worked around from Beverly Hills with so much more than I'll ever see. Worlds away in so many ways. And if I had to choose between the two worlds - I know which I would choose.

Then there were the lamps - the shaams - and they really are made by hand in a place smaller than a one car garage


One of the last places we went to was a shop where this guy makes these beautiful backgammon/chess sets with intricate inlaid shell and wood bits. Absolutely beautiful work! The chess pieces are all custom carved camel bone and amazing in detail. He also takes the time to show you the difference between the real shell work versus plastic. His particular shop isn't even big enough to repair a scooter in.

After a few hours of this Ahmad went his own way and I finally made my way back downtown. After dropping off the spices I thought one last bowl of koshary before I pack things up for the flight to Frankfurt in the morning. So I go to the closest place down the street. on the way back some really tall (6' 4") Egyptian says something about dodging traffic. Then says the best koshary is over there - and points to a square (triangle - actually) that I wandered through about 3 weeks ago - but I hadn't thought to find that area - I just wanted the closest and most convenient place. This gentleman - Mohamed who works in Oslo for Amnesty International - insists that he shows me the square since there is also a tea/coffee house that is owned by a Nobel Peace winner. It's after 9pm - I'm exhausted - but I guess from his vantage point he could not see the dark circles under my eyes - he invites me to have tea with him. I had to decline - as I only have about 30 minutes left before I go off line and completely shut down.

No comments:

Post a Comment